Sunday, April 7, 2013

Campus life and love

True
by Erin McCarthy
PENGUIN GROUP Berkley, NAL / Signet Romance, DAW
May 2013


Fucking awesome!

If reading that bothers you as much as it bothers me to write it, then you may want to pause before committing to this book. There are prevalent crude language, references, and situations.

That said, though, this is an awesome story -- just not one I'm comfortable recommending to readers who prefer less offensive language and less graphic relationships.

McCarthy's characters and their relationships pull you in to the story. It's a strong example of friendships and family supporting each other.  And the meaning of the title of the book just makes it all the better -- best fun story I've read in a while!

I seldom am able or WANT to read a book in one sitting, but I did this -- and it was well worth my time.  Great, endearing read and a very satisfying (if implausible) ending.  As a parent I wanted to tell the kids to wait, and re-think. But as a reader identifying with the protagonists, I was happily smiling when the book came to an end.

What's different about this book
It is SUCH a feel-good read. The guy is strong and true; the girl is honest and intelligent. Great relationship.

I'm definitely reconsidering my understanding of what college and university life looks like today. I don't want to think the scenes in this book are typical. Rather I suspect this book exaggerates reality in many ways -- but probably comes closer than I would have expected. I enjoyed the reading; just don't want to think this is normal.

What I'll do now that I've read the book  
I'm not comfortable recommending this to any of my library environments. It's a great read, but the language and graphic view of life itself puts it beyond conventional materials that a professional librarian can share with others.  Even for my peers, I would hesitate to recommend it based on the raunchy language. But it's a great read.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment