Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Treasure of Intrigue

An American Spy (Milo Weaver, #3)
by Olen Steinhauer
2013, St. Martin's Press


Somehow the start of this trilogy slipped by me, and that was a significant loss.  

Working with libraries has its advantages, though, and one of them is hearing about great books from patron requests.

Beginning with the first Milo Weaver book, The tourist, I settled in for a pleasant Christmas break read, and then found myself compelled to jump into book two, The nearest exit.  The first book was compelling -- how did I miss it? But the second was better than the first. And it's amazing but true that An American spy, the third, was the best of the series.

What's different about this book? 
Characteristic of all three of these titles is the deft authorship: immediately-engaging characters, a quick-to-jump-into plot, and a sophisticatedly nuanced story.  Wow.  

The crowning touch in these three books, though, is the opening perspective of this third book:  Ironically, the title of American spy refers not primarily to Milo Weaver but to ... Well, that would be giving away too much.  Milo Weaver is my new best hero.

I consider the investment of time to read this trilogy to be one of the most rewarding choices this Christmas break.

What will I do now that I've read the book? 
One library I work with has the trilogy already, thankfully.  I had ordered the set by request and had no idea I would be one of its greatest fans. (All the awards and notables should have been tip-offs.)

So I'm ensuring that my other libraries consider these titles for their collection, and I'm personally encouraging friends, librarians, and readers I speak with, to give Steinhauer's trilogy a chance.  

I love the intrigue and stories of Clancy, Coben, Child, and top-notch authors in this style: Steinhauer and his Milo Weaver can take their place next to the best of those. 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment