Friday, March 20, 2015

Murder in Hindsight and the New Scotland Yard mystery series - 6 ★★★★★

Murder in Hindsight: A New Scotland Yard Mystery
Anne Cleeland
Kensington Books
March 2015


This. is. the. best. mystery. series. ever.

When I review a new release from a series, I try to start with the first title, read through all in order, and then culminate with the latest.  I did so for the New Scotland Yard Mystery series, so in a way this review considers all three titles available to date: Murder in Thrall, Murder in Retribution, and this.

What's different about this series/book
Writing this review is somewhat overwhelming:  I'll never be able to explain the many ways this book delights, again and again.

So many of us are such busy people.  It's a real commitment to sit up too late reading because a book is so good.

But while "up late reading" is a compliment, this book found me also getting up too early, because doing so would allow me more time to read during the day.

Yes, this book / this series is that good.  What's different that makes each book so compelling?  It's the character of the protagonists:  the good but complex Kathleen Doyle, as well as the darker and more complex Michael Sinclair, Lord Upton.  The opposites do attract, but oh, my, their complicated relationship is its own character.  I am grateful that love and commitment are absolute givens in this series, and the plot lines in each book test that commitment but never break it.  And I supremely appreciate the resolute and abiding faith that binds the action and the characters: Because of it, redemption and grace can be applied to the plot and to the people in the story at just the right time.  It adds a depth to this wonderful story that many other books fall short of.

Another difference is the twist built into each character:  Doyle is fey, and Acton is obsessive.  And it works beautifully to solve crimes and love each other even more.

While characters and relationships abound far beyond the two main characters, the action and suspense are exceptionally different as well. I delight in the way I can't imagine who dunit, and yet I delight equally in the detecting and resolving of the murders and the crimes.  I love the way the author does not tell the reader everything that is happening, so that when more is revealed later, you look back at the point where you wondered, and it all comes together so beautifully.

I sound very poetic here -- but truly, each story in the series, and particularly this third book, is an exceptional read.  Someone who opens the first page of the first book will not be content to put it down.  Be sure to have the second and third book ready at hand.

What I'll do now that I've read it
Yes, each of my libraries with age-appropriate patrons (they are a married couple, after all) will be purchasing the series -- and this third title as soon as it becomes available.

Uncharacteristically for me as a reviewer, I'm also personally buying copies for my family members who love murder mysteries, police procedurals, suspense, and compelling romance. I don't remember a better book, in any of these categories, in my remembered reading life.  This is the best, and each title builds on the previous.  Do not let yourself miss this chance at sublime reading.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment