Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Holding Smoke - Holding a wonderful book!

Holding Smoke
by Elle Cosimano
Disney-Hyperion

May 20167

Prepare for the best read you've had in a while. Holding Smoke intrigues with a refreshing new setting, compelling characters, and enough suspense to hold the reader to the book. 

What's different about this book
The plot construct that Smoke can leave his body grabbed my attention; and the fact that Smoke is in juvenile detention for a crime he may not have committed kept me reading.  Smoke's character is developed so integrally with the plot that I wasn't aware the author was weaving that aspect.  A touch of romance and caring family and friends, good people winning: These were part of making this read one of the best I've enjoyed in a long time. 

What I'll do now that I've read it
For me, one of the basic qualities of a well-written book is not being aware of the author's presence.  I don't want to be reminded that I'm reading what someone wrote.  Cosimano's work achieves that beautifully:  There is just such a great story to enjoy! I haven't waited to share with friends, library patrons, and other librarians.  I'll be sorry --and surprised-- if this book doesn't show up on a lot of award lists.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment