Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Powerful but wordless: Love: The Lion

Love: The Lion
by Frederic Brremaud
Magnetic Press
July 2016



Graphic novels are increasingly respected as literacy tools for learning and pleasure. Powerful stories in those graphic novels are the key to hooking readers -- and making them think.  Love: The Lion manages to do that, wordlessly.


What's different about this book
The power of the images and the wordless narration in this book is amazing, really. The author/illustrator depends on the reader's literacy and thinking skills to make the story bridge the gap from the page to the mind.  I find it interesting that two earlier books in this style and series were recommended for younger readers; this is labeled by at least one vendor as young adult.  The reality of life is portrayed honestly in Love: The Lion: gritty but representative of wild life.


What I'll do now that I've read it
I have pre-ordered copies for my young adult libraries. I'll be very interested to see which readers "get it," and which have to turn to read the book again -- as I did. This book may be a growing experience for many of my patrons as they work to understand the full story told by the beautifully and compellingly illustrated art. A literacy experience indeed.


* * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment