Sunday, July 2, 2017

A Conspiracy in Belgravia - Second Charlotte Holmes book

A Conspiracy in Belgravia
by Sherry Thomas

Reading can be compared to a treasure hunt: Always on the look-out for a gem that will reward you for your patience.  You’ll want to know that this second book in the Charlotte Holmes series is just that: a jewel sparkling and irresistible – and worth the search.

What’s different about this book
There seems to be an abundance of books on the Sherlock Holmes theme recently, many well-done and enjoyable reads. But this concept of a female who creates and lives out the Sherlock Holmes mystique is unique:  It bests the original and many times over.  The first book in the series was excellent; this second book is strongly better and more appealing.

The reader who usually suspends judgment on a book and its quality until some chapters in can rest easy: They are in the hands of a master weaver who powerfully crafts characters, their interactions, and plots that bring a genuine sense of suspense and mystery.  I have been delighted to find that I can read a passage in this series, miss the undercurrents of meaning, and yet trust the author to strategically fill in the invisible story line that I missed the first time through. I love being surprised that the story between the lines resolves to be so beautifully just what I would have wanted if I had known the options.

What I’ll do now that I’ve read it
There is no reader I can think of to whom I don’t wish to recommend this book, indeed, this series.  All my library patrons (above elementary level) should hope to read this series, and I’m not only adding it to library collections – I’m buying family birthday and Christmas gifts.  Amazingly rewarding reading for fiction, historical, and mystery suspense fans. And who doesn’t like at least ONE of those genres?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment