Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Queen of the Dead


Queen of the Dead
Stacey Kade
Disney-Hyperion

This sequel to The Ghost and the Goth continues the great tale of Alona Dare, killed in her teen prime, and her complex and interesting relationship with Will, he who speaks with the dead. They need each other -- in more ways than one.

What's different:
This second book isn't an obviously series second. There is new and significant character development, a new and engaging plot line, and there is actually a satisfying ending -- if a little abrupt and somewhat stilted feeling. That said, there is room for a third book, but I don't need it after reading this second. That's a rare quality in the popular YA titles I am reading these days.


Evaluation: what will I do now that I've read this?
  • I have already bought this for my school libraries. I think it will be a hit with those readers who enjoy some supernatural fluff but also appreciate some down-to-earth reality.
  • I probably won't suggest this title for my fellow librarians and BOOK READERS unless we are talking about a fluff but enjoyable weekend read.
  • And it is not on the horizon for my church library -- entertaining YA lit is not on the priority list at this point, though this is a wholesome, non-offensive read.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment