Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian


Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian
by John Piper
Crossway Books, September 2011

Racism, ethnic prejudice and other-ness are givens in our culture: like the poor, they will be with us always. And because of that ubiquity, I tend to relegate the evil of racism to my periphery: yes, it is evil and degrading and I should "work on it."

Piper's words grab my complacent acceptance of this evil and shake it.

Bloodlines makes me aware that the nature of racism is in fact a clear statement of my understanding of spiritual reality. To the extent that I am racist or harbor racist views, to that same extent I diminish the sovereign God and His purpose in creation.

What's different about this book:
  • It posits the concept of racism in a full context: social, moral, religious, political and historical. Excellent research, cogent connecting of all the perspectives.
  • It clearly and compelling explains the solution to racism -- the only solution that will work. The book thoroughly and convincingly makes the case the authentic Christianity is the only possible solution to a destructive mindset and behavior that can only worsen.
Evaluation: what will I do now that I have read this book?
I had this title on our vendor's Purchase list before I finishing reading it.

Racism is universal. Read this book if you are racist or concerned that you might be.

But ESPECIALLY read this book if you don't care.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment