Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Putting Makeup on Dead People


Putting Makeup on Dead People
by Jen Violi
Disney-Hyperion Book CH

This novel is well written realistic fiction -- there's good characterization and very engaging figures. I appreciated the value given to, and the fresh perspective on, an unusual career and study choice. An encouraging young adult perspective on the feelings behind knowing --or not knowing-- what career path to follow.

That said, I didn't care for the package of story and plotting. The author posits deep questions about life and the value of individuals -- for which the protagonist must work out her own indeterminate and ambiguous "feel-good" solution.

I want my young people to know that there are moral absolutes and a truth that can be depended on when making those life decisions. None of that is shown here.

What's different about this book?
I really enjoyed the thread of Donna picking an unusual career path (not the typical YA college path) and finding her passion and competence in that field. Yay for Donna.

Evaluation: what will I do now that I have read this book?
We will pass on this title.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment