Wednesday, December 26, 2012

ebook series: Encounters with Jesus

The Skeptical Student 
Tim Keller
2012, Penguin Group / Dutton 

In author Tim Keller's works, I listen for the transcendent: where does he speak truth that is unexpected and counter intuitive to most Biblical teaching? Sermons and books are made of words: where are those that are just too predictable, and where are those that are life-changing?

In this first in the "Encounters with Jesus" series of essays, Keller is challenged by two obstacles: a largely unbelieving audience and the brevity inherent in a speaking / essay format.

Despite these limitations, the familiar experience of Keller pulling me out of my complacency continues. There is truth to be heard in this essay that defies the ephemeral nature of the ebook format planned for the publication of his 2012 Oxford, English lectures.

What's different about this item? 
Keller is noted for his straight talk, his reasonable thinking, and his balanced awareness of the perspectives of both "believers" and those who do not accept the traditional Christian line. This short work continues those qualities: both believer ad skeptic alike will be able to follow Keller's story and logic and consider a response.

What will I do now that I have read it?
Without fail I find Keller's work (whether written or spoken) to be of great benefit to Christians examining how they live. This particular essay, and probably those that will follow in the series, are equally compelling. But while I would purchase a print copy for my libraries in a heart-beat, I still have to work out the logistics of e-book materials in a lending library situation. 

I do think the essay length of this work will draw readers, who might hesitate to take on a full-length work. A solution for ebook circulation continues to be a quest.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment