Monday, December 31, 2012

YA fiction: best read yet

Sea of Tranquility 
Katja Millay
Atria Books, June 2013

To add any further acclaim to the responses this novel has gathered would be redundant, at best. I'm glad this blog considers what's different about the books I review -- because that is a much more entertaining consideration than looking for fresh ways to say that this is the best book I've read in a long time.  I don't particularly go for teen angst, and the dark, brooding and self-destructive characters aren't usually my type. But in this novel, they work and they work extremely effectively.

Millay self-published this book in September this year, and the response in the few months since has been amazing -- so much so that Simon & Schuster/Atria contracted with Millay to re-release it in June 2013.  

The book cover on Millay's first release was that of coins in a fountain -- so much more meaningful and aesthetically "right" than the black-and-white version from Atria's release.

But readers have much to be thankful for: that Millay even wrote the book, that NetGalley has been able to provide advance digital copies, and that eventually there will be print copies available.

So, what's different about this book?
An easy question to explore, because I simply had to ask, What really made this story special to me? The strongest quality was the instant and abiding connection between the two main protagonists:  both wounded, both emotionally fragile, yet both strong characters that were even better when they were together. 

The writing is so beautifully crafted that there was never a point during the read when I was aware of reading through someone's authoring. Character development was skillful and effective; and the actions of the characters within the plot line were spot-on. 

One thing different from most books I guide my readers to: the strong, explicit language. To a certain degree, the profanity and potty language add authenticity to the teen voices. But at a few points, the language detracts by drawing the reader's attention away from the story. 

What I'll do now that I've read the book:
Aaargh.  This is the great frustration with this particular work:  I have to wait until JUNE 2013 to share the print edition with my students. Too cruel: I know of at least 7 students for whom I would immediately buy a copy and put it in their hands. 

I can share with my patrons who have their own e-reader devices, but I have a problem with questions of equity: Why should only patrons who can afford e-readers have access to a great book?

So yes, I'll buy print copies for my school library collections -- and I'll hope I still can still connect the book with the readers that need it by next August when school starts. 

And for my patrons with e-reader devices, and for my libraries that actually circulate such devices pre-loaded, we'll be pushing this title for the great read it offers.

And I have yet to read such a PERFECT ending sentence to any book as this novel offered. Way to go, Katja!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment