Sunday, May 5, 2013

An irresistible read

Stonefly
Book one of the Jacob Duke series
Scott J. Holliday
Haley Road Publishing
June 2013

I never say this, but here it's true:  There are no flaws in this book.

The writing is top-notch: well-crafted character development, quick-to-make sense plot lay-out, and a magical way of setting a firm, fixed universe within which the story unfolds. Somehow all the rules of the game fit and make sense ... and come together to create genuine suspense.   

It is realistic fiction -- except that Jacob is the son of a successful business woman and a genie. So he bears the genetic curse of being bound to grant true wishes that he hears people utter. Or someone dies.

What's different about this book?
It is amazingly and intricately crafted.  The writing is superb, and the reader feels immediately that he is in the hands of a master author.  There's no weakness of narration. The story line is cohesive and compelling. This is the best-written book I've read for as far back as I can remember.

The killer writing comes with an amazingly interesting story line. Win win.

What will I do now that I've read it?
This book holds universal appeal for all the libraries for which I purchase and recommend.  My young adult readers will be hooked by the plot line and the suspense. Well, that is also what will hook my adult friends.  But they'll also be surprised at how well the story is written.  

I'm more excited about this series than I have been about any ... ANY ... that have made it big in the past years.

Mr. Holliday, how quickly can you write the books that follow?

* * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment