Sunday, May 19, 2013

Old and New together


Far Far Away
by Tom McNeal
Random House Children's Books
June 2013


Think Grimm's fairy tales: Hansel and Gretel, long ago, far away, ghosts and murder, definitely anachronistic.

Now think today's young adult literature: coming of age, making your way, establishing identity, and getting the girl.

Spin those two perspectives together, and you get an intriguingly distinct read that combines a contemporary setting (set in some time similar to today, and definitely in the United States) with the intrigues and dangers of Grimm's sterner European tales. 

Fun!

What's different about this book?
I've read young adult books with ghost stories, and I've read historical suspense, but I've not come across such a skillful and effective blending of the Grimm perspective with contemporary teen fiction. The story is somewhat disorienting at first, but the end result is a charming read about protagonists who are winsome, realistic, and good -- and facing evil as old as time. 

What will I do now that I've read this book?
This title definitely goes on my purchase list for my school libraries.  I can't wait to try to explain its setting and plot to my patrons. This is a fun read that invites mental engagement to cross the incongruence in periods of time and perspective.

I'll also be sharing it with my Summer Reading groups:  the local public library, the local schools' staff reading challenge, and my own #bookaday reading. Great stuff -- fresh, compelling, and intriguing.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment