Sunday, August 3, 2014

Maybe Chet's best

Paw and Order: A Chet and Bernie Mystery
Spencer Quinn
Atria Books


New releases in Quinn's exceptional private eye series are rare and treasured.  This newest release may be the best yet.

What's different about this book
All the analogies to Robert Parker's Spenser series have already been made, but the quality of this set-up, a self-aware and narrating canine, is exceptional, as were Parker's novels.  As is Chet himself.  And yes, Bernie his human is also great.  In this seventh episode, Quinn manages to hinge the story to the novel just past, and yet move the plot forward with all the major characters and situations still in place.  I like the shift of scenery, once again out of Arizona and this time in Washington.  And the engagement and quality of the story line continues to build.  

I particularly liked that the usual Chet-separated-from-Bernie episode was shortened (I don't like Chet in danger or away from Bernie), and I particularly like that he was rescued by someone who perhaps has an even better sense of Chet's value than Bernie himself.  Great development.

What I'll do now that I've read it
This is definitely an item to own and share --  I'm placing it into the appropriate library collections and talking it up to my friends and family and patrons.  What's not to like about a Private Eye dog who always gets the better of the felines around?

* * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment