Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tesla and his legend


Tesla's Attic, Bk 1 of The Accelerati Trilogy
by Neal Shusterman, Eric Elfman
2014 by Disney-Hyperion

Pitch-perfect for a middle school read.  The authors have nailed the engaging plot line, the humorous situations, and the reality of middle school dialog in this fun story.  Nick and his family need to heal from the loss of their mother and wife, and where better than in the musty, dusty, and dangerous home of Great Aunt Gertrude?

What's different about this book
Maybe I've been reading too much high school teen angst, but this fun and compelling read was a pleasure.  I had appreciated Shusterman's older young-adult writing, so I wasn't surprised by the deft writing in this tale.  But the humor and the spot-on crafting of adventure were perfect for the middle-grade readers:  enjoyable characterization (without too much drama) of some sympathetic protagonists, who are surely more mature than most middle school students.  The suspense and the sophistication of the obstacles in the story made this a book I looked forward to escaping in.

What I'll do now that I've read it
I am already book-talking this to my school patrons, both students and teachers.  We'll have a lot of fun with this book.  I'm looking forward to more intrigue and more adventures with the mystical engines in Tesla's Attic.  And just what do the Accelerati want from those engines??

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment