Friday, November 27, 2015

Universal joy in sound and text

Every Valley: Advent with the Scriptures of Handel's Messiah 
Jessica Miller Kelley, Editor
(C) 2014 Westminster John Knox Press

Accompanying my reading of this book were the remembered sounds of of Messiah.  I was humming under my breath as I read the book's text tied to the selected movements and their librettos. This synergy of text, sound, and source Biblical passages ensured an emotional engagement.

What's different about this book
The strong ties we have to Handel's work anchors our pleasure in these directed thoughts and devotions.  Contrary to the author's comment that Christ's birth is "at most" a focus for just one month each year, those familiar with Messiah and its scriptural source will find inspiration for year-round worship and growth.

The book is divided into three parts that highlight the entire life of Christ: His birth and its foretelling; His passion and resurrection; and His eternal reign. The movements of Messiah are beautifully interwoven with devotional text excerpted from Bartlett and Taylor's Feasting on the Word.  This makes for a rich, rich experience -sound and word- during the Advent season's devotional focus.

What I'll do now that I've read it
I am targeting this book as a display and focus for my library patrons seeking inspiration during this global time of Christian worship and re-focus.  The Messiah parsed across the inspirational text will be a welcome read for many.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment