Wednesday, April 13, 2016

NYC and Post-WW2 Life: While you were mine

While You Were Mine
by Ann Howard Creel
Lake Union Publishing
April 2016



A well-written and well-researched period piece that follows convincing characters in New York City immediately following the close of World War II

What's different about this book
I was not familiar with this time as it was seen and lived by people in this place, but Creel offers a well-told story, one that realistically (I assume) reflects the realities of New York as the War ends and families and their soldiers return and work to find out what life will now look like in the changed world.  Characterization is thorough: These are realistic people with their imperfections and dreams, and that may explain the slower-than-expected pacing of the plot. A worth-while read but not a fast one.


What I'll do now that I have read it
I am not usually a fan of realistic historical fiction, but this was a solid read.  I'll be book-talking this to my patrons (and friends) who look for well-written novels in this genre.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment