Friday, July 8, 2016

Unfolding: A compelling novel

Unfolding
by Jonathan Friesen
Zonderkidz-Books, Blink
December 2017

With this book, I was hooked in pretty quickly.  I wanted to read this when I had to be doing other things.  This is a GREAT read, both for young adults and adults who enjoy a great story.

What's different about this book
There is a compelling mix of small-town real life and some mystical, magical influences.  Not enough other-worldly to put readers off.  Just enough to pull the attention further into the story.
I appreciated the engaging discussion of transcendent issues - the story isn't afraid to address God and Christ and life and death. But there is no overt, off-putting agenda:  just a natural, we-all-think-about-these-things touch.
The story travels far afield from its starting point, and sometimes in that distance the cohesiveness of plot and purpose waiver.  But the completely-satisfying resolution and ending make it all work. Not a perfect writing, but a pretty good one.

What I'll do now that I've read it
You want to read this. My library patrons will want to read it. I am eager to start sharing it in my  libraries.  I am sorry to see such a far-away publication date.  This book is too good to wait that long.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *


No comments:

Post a Comment