Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Most Extraordinary Pursuit - for adventure, mystery, and delightful character development

A Most Extraordinary Pursuit
by Juliana Gray
Berkley Publishing Group
October 2016


A well-crafted period piece that grabs the reader's attention from the first few lines: a dead but totally present Queen Victoria gives her strong opinion about the heroine's upcoming actions.  This book, the first in a new series from an established author, promises a lot of fun for historical fiction, mystery, and adventure fans.

What's different about this book
There are so many engaging aspects to this story. The first shows up with the repeating voices from the grave, each giving advice and insight.  Then the strong, independent character of the heroine, complex and conflicted, makes the story line compelling throughout the story. The varied characters, the always-moving plot line, and the back story that appears on a collision course with the front story - all these elements combine to present a thoroughly enjoyable, intriguing read. But the greatest pleasure may be the ending moments wherein the heroine displays unexpected strength and insight.  It left me cheering for her! And those last moments position her perfectly to segue into the next adventure.  I'm looking forward to reading it!

What I'll do now that I've read it
I've placed this book on our to-purchase list for my libraries, for my high school and my adult patrons: folks who will appreciate the intrigue, the relationships, and the adventure. I'm already targeting my big historical fiction readers for this new delight.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment