Friday, April 22, 2011

The Ghost and the Goth

The Ghost and the Goth
Stacey Kade
published in 2010 by Hyperion Book CH.

Stacey Kade's YA book is a really enjoyable read: high school cheerleader gets run over by a bus (yes, the element of the absurd is a strong part of the story) and can't leave the locale until she makes things right. Pair her with the goth boy who can see and hear the dead, and you have a great recipe for a fun read.

A lot of the fun is starting with stereotypical characters who turn into multi-dimensional and well-nuanced personalities. The valley-girl cheerleader changes and improves to be an empathetic protagonist, and the goth boy proves both intelligent and resilient given the context he is in.

I enjoyed the lighter side of supernatural literature, and I also enjoyed the presence of family and parents, not always present in YA tales today. Fun read, engaging plot, glad I have a sequel ready at hand.

Evaluation: what will I do now that I've read this?
  • I am delighted that my school library (PreK - 12th) already has a copy, and I can't wait to book-talk this to my kids.
  • While perfectly appropriate for my church library, it doesn't fit in our current collection development focus.
  • I will remember it pleasurably -- and can't wait to pick up the sequel, Queen of the Dead, to be published in June 2011 by Hyperion Book CH.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment