Monday, December 1, 2014

Narrative at its most literary

All the Light We Cannot See
Scribner
2014

Sometimes "literary" narrative is not a good draw for someone just looking for a "good read."  This book brings the best of compelling story and literary narrative together:  a must-read, and I claim this as someone who doesn't not use the phrase "must-read" lightly.

 What's different about this book?
The jacket blurbs and the brief reviews I had read about this book did not convince me to read it.  But I kept seeing those reviews and the sheer weight of those reviews caught me.  This book is different because the war story and the blind girl and the Nazi youth somehow come together to make an amazingly engaging story.  I don't believe any words I could write would convince someone to read this -- but I may be able to add to the avalanche of reviews that will reach some other reader's eyes.

What I'll do now that I've read it
I am already book-talking this to my fellow librarians, and am scheduled to do so with my patrons in the coming weeks.  On so many levels, this book will appeal to readers: those who love historical fiction, those who love romance, those who love coming-of-age tales and mystery and political intrigue.  Family is important in this story, and friendships and community.  This is now a part of my library collections.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment