Sunday, January 4, 2015

A madcap, compelling highwayman's adventure

The Accidental Highwayman: Being the Tale of Kit Bristol, His Horse Midnight, a Mysterious Princess, and Sundry Magical Persons Besides
by Ben Tripp
Tor Teen
October 2014


This book was the highlight of my Christmas break reading:  engaging story line, compelling characters and plot, and a fun, fun adventure that reminded me of the tone and setting of The Princess Bride.  Enjoyable all the way around.

What's different about this book
Told from the point of view of a sixteen-year-old adventurer, Kit is a likeable, humble, and unassuming hero.  He never intends great things, but his basic sense of duty and ethics move him forward into adventures that serve others: Cleverly developed and scripted to allow us to care about Kit and those he cares about.  Crazy, madcap at times, and completely enjoyable.

What I'll do now that I've read it
This book will be one of the first I share and talk about to my school readers and my adults patrons as well.  I don't know where I read it, but I expect a sequel, if not several.  Something called The Accidental Giant? I'm on the look out for it - as will be my libraries' readers! Great stuff.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment