Saturday, January 10, 2015

Spademan and the limn -- even more fun the second time around

Near Enemy: A Spademan Novel
Adam Sternbergh
Crown Publishing
Pub Jan 2015


A year ago I had the pleasure to preview and review Shovel Ready, the first book in this (hopefully extended) series.  I don't remember enjoying that first one as much as this: Near Enemy was my assigned weekend reading, and I was surprised to be entertained so thoroughly.

What's different about this book
My first review mentioned what's different about Sternberg's approach to narrating Spademan's story. There are still two voices, the terse, concise, and short-phrased Spademan: no quotation marks for the dialog, few of the conventions that English teachers like, but great technique for helping the reader "hear" the voice of Spademan and experience the story through his perspective.  And the second "straight" narrator is still present, the voice that sets the scene.  
     What's new here? In my opinion the author's writing is even more cohesive and mature than before.  Also, I was not as aware of the dark and gritty aspects: I don't know if that's because I knew in advance the setting, or if the author is more focused on the action in this book.  But the story line is taut; the characters are compelling; and the suspense is great entertainment, resulting in lots of reader engagement.  There were repeated twists and sub-plots that together resulted in an unusually entertaining read.  I loved the whole book and wish I could pick up Book 3 now.  (Coming soon, Mr. Sternbergh?)

What I'll do now that I've read it
More book talking to my adult patrons -- this one with my personal guarantee of a great read.  And I'm looking into extending the series into my high school libraries -- Near Enemy is eminently suitable, and I'll review Shovel Ready with that in mind. 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment