Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A surprisingly compelling read: Alive by Scott Sigler

Alive
by Scott Sigler
Random House Publishing Group
July 2015


The phrase "page turner" is overused, but lucky is the reader who experiences that intense focus in a book.

What's different about this book 
 When one reads a story and finds that she doesn't want to put the book down, there is something vital and almost mystical going on.  Sigler's Alive created that experience for me: at the sentence- or page-level in the reading process, each piece of the story held my focus.  What really struck me about this skillfully crafted novel was the vibrancy of each thought that so compelled me to keep reading.  The writing was smooth enough that I immediately let go of the analytical lens on the book -- and I just enjoyed the ride.  

What I'll do now that I've read it
It's not often that I want to immediately put a book into some reader's hand, but I do with this one.  The appeal of the action, the development of characters, and the thrill of survival will appeal to all readers: Alive is not a guy or gal read, but rather a READER read.  I think all ages will enjoy it, from young enough to be able to understand it, and up to adults who enjoy a compelling read.  Great stuff, and a title that I will disseminate through all my school libraries as well as friends and families.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment