Saturday, June 6, 2015

Humor, mystery, and some romance

Double Mint, a Davis Way Crime Caper #4
Gretchen Archer
Henery Press
July 2015


Comparisons have been made of this series to Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.  The two authors do include the same sense of wry humor (lots of it) and some appealing romantic connections.  But there are striking differences as well, which argue for Archer's series as being the better choice.

What's different about this book 
Beginning with the first book in the series, I was struck by the originality of the heroine and plot.  I again encountered the laugh-out-loud experience that comes so rarely in today's fiction, and I wondered whether the engaging story line would continue throughout the following books.  Interestingly:  the story in each book just gets better.  The character development is strong across titles, the plot is different in each book yet equally intriguing, and the overarching story line is compelling.  Solid work for what I suspect is not an easy style to sustain.

What I'll do now that I've read it
I recommend this series to readers who enjoy some smart dialog, an intriguing protagonist, and a humorous take on life.  The interesting part for me, in recommending this book, is that I've shared it with four friends before I got around to writing an official review.  Don't waste time reading about the book -- go get it!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1 comment: