Sunday, July 19, 2015

Gritty, suspenseful, and satisfying

Make Me, A Jack Reacher Novel (#20)
 by Lee Child
Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, Delacorte Press 
September 2015

One thing I can count on in all the Jack Reacher novels -- he never loses a fight.  But in this twentieth book, he does get pretty badly hurt.

What's different about this book
Make Me follows the best of Lee Child's Reacher series:  Jack always wins, the case is always a compelling one, and there are significant relationships that make the story all the better.  This latest release, however, seemed more gritty, the crime Reacher solves more violent and evil than I remember from previous books.  But there were some particularly good aspects: the scene where Jack and his ally snag some drug money and some needed firepower; the journalist that joins them and makes the action all the more interesting.  I appreciated the way Reacher was a touch more vulnerable, a touch more reachable, and all the good guys walk away at the end. This will be a hit for Reacher fans -- and will win the author more followers.

What I'll do now that I've read it
Definitely to be shared with my adult friends and library patrons, but I may wait to have this requested by my older high school readers.  Those that like the Jack Reacher series will come asking for the latest, and I'll be happy to oblige.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment