Thursday, July 23, 2015

Caution: A completely absorbing experience lies ahead

The Scorpion Rules
by Erin Bow
Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing, Margaret K. McElderry Books

September 2015

The book's title doesn't tell it.  The less-than-alluring cover hides it.  The truth is, this tale is the most compelling story I remember reading: I read this every minute I could -- I broke away only because I had to, and I returned as quickly as I was able. There is no warning visible that would alert the reader to what is coming.

What's different about this book. 
It's a young adult title, and while these titles can be great, they are seldom enthralling.  The characters and the plot line explore amazingly huge concepts: love, life, intelligence, same-sex attraction, death, free will, pain, loss, torture.  And the reader is completely absorbed through it all.

What I'll do now that I've read it
This book may be the silver bullet answer for every reader's advisory question I receive:  I need something interesting. Check.  I want something with action.  Check.  Oh, I prefer something with romance. Double check. Well, I need something significant that explores serious issues. Check!  Oh, I only read adult literature. Check!  I regret that I can't begin to share this book until September.  That's hundreds of reader questions away!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment