Saturday, July 11, 2015

Young adult love, loss, and learning

A Million Miles Away
by Lara Avery
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
July 2015


A good romance can be made better by a meaningful context.  Avery's A Million Miles Away avoids the superficial by the quality and depth of her story and the significance of her protagonist's growth.

What's different about this book
The plot twist of a surviving twin stepping in for her sister seems fresh and interesting.  I didn't always like Kelsey and her choices, but the story soon settles in to be an engaging read.  The difference in what transpires is the extent to which Kelsey and her family have to live through the loss of losing her twin, and the extent to which Kelsey grows and learns through the ensuing developments.  I liked the seriousness of the book's challenges -- juxtaposed with the inclusion of art and dance and family and friends.  This becomes an increasingly compelling story as one moves through the book.

What I'll do now that I've read it
Before opening my blog to write this review, I went first to my go-to book vendor for my libraries.  I had to make sure this title is on our list for our young adult libraries.  Beyond buying the title, though, I will really enjoy sharing this with readers who want some real-life challenges and adventure mixed with a compelling romance.  A story where the protagonist recognizes her flaws and learns to deal with them -- and grow beyond them -- is both rare and a pleasure to pass on to other readers.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment